Friday, September 2, 2011

My Portfolio Sept. 1, 2011

A rough month on the market brought some big changes in my portfolio in August.
Let's get right to the snapshot. (Right-click on image to see a bigger version.)





A rundown of the changes
Some bad news out of Dolby's (DLB) most recent conference call shook my confidence in the company's ability to rebound anytime soon. I trimmed my position substantially in response. You can see how much it's down this year in the snapshot.
I put that money and more to use during the recent dips.
I opened positions in fertilizer producer Mosaic as well as National-Oilwell Varco (NOV), which provides oil and gas well-drilling equipment and services.


The dips, combined with a day of free trades over at TradeKing, also gave me the chance to add shares of Kennametal (KMT), Balchem (BCPC), Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.B) and Teradata (TDC), which had fallen to $44 from a high of more than $62 and looked like a steal after yet another good quarter. It's already had a nice bounce off that low.

What's up next
The short-term plan is to keep it simple and buy more of what I already own. I like this portfolio out into the future. I'll be adding based on the market gyrations. I'd like to buy more NOV, and more Boston Beer (SAM), but  I'll ultimately focus on what I think looks like the best deal when I finally decide to pull the trigger again.

No comments:

Post a Comment