Saturday, May 28, 2011

Beating the S&P

After two straight years of beating the S&P 500 as a novice stockpicker, I'm seeing the tide turn for the first time.
Through the first five months of 2011, I'm trailing.
The S&P has been no juggernaut in 2011. Had I invested my money in SPY, I'd have been up about 4.2 percent on the year.
But my holdings have delivered me a measly 2.7 percent through May.
While I know I may be just one piece of company news away from evening things up, there's something about being behind that's spurring a sudden rally in interest and research.
I'll be sharing some of my ideas, my victories and my slips and falls through this blog.
Feel free to chime in with any thoughts or ideas.
If nothing else, I hope these experiences can give some confidence to those considering managing some of their own money. Not only can you do it smartly, but you can have a lot of fun with it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment